Grilled Watermelon Salad
It's finally June, and you can feel it in the air -- grilling weather is here! The days of trying anything and everything with a little bit of char are finally upon us, so get creative and let the inspiration come to you!
One of the simplest and most satisfying things you can do with fruit in the summer is to put it on the grill with a little bit of olive oil. Watermelon, pineapple, peaches, apples, and pears can all stand up to the high temperatures, so they make great starting points for many recipes, whether they're savory or sweet.
During the grilling process, the already abundant sugars in the fruits will caramelize, deepening their flavor profiles along with your enjoyment of the finished dishes you use them in. Fruit does tend to grill quickly, so you'll want to keep an eye on it while it's grilling, but the finished product is so worth the extra effort, especially when finished with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar! The sweetness of the fruit is the perfect compliment to the vinegar's tartness.
We chose to celebrate the fast approach of Summer with a dish that's complex in flavor, but surprisingly simple to make and easy to entertain with. It's a step up from the expected side dishes at any backyard barbecue, so get ready to share all of your new knowledge with your friends!
- Cut off both ends of the watermelon, turn it on its end, and trim off the rind from all sides. Slice the watermelon into rounds about an inch thick.
- Salt both sides of watermelon rounds lightly, on a rack or in a pan, and let drain 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Remove excess moisture from the outside of each watermelon round and drizzle or brush with Persian Lime Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Place watermelon rounds on the grill and let sit undisturbed until grill marks form and the melon has softened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season watermelon as desired. Lay each slice flat and cut into cubes.
- Combine watermelon, crumbled feta, and chopped mint leaves in a serving bowl. Drizzle generously with Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar and additional olive oil if desired.
We hope you love making, sharing, and enjoying this recipe! It can also be made with a variety of our other high-quality oils and vinegars, so if you haven't already, drop by either of our locations and we'll be glad to help you find your favorite combination.
- Olive Oils
- Gift Sets
- Specialty Items