Sicilian Caponata (Eggplant Relish)
Teaoli Extra Virgin Olive Oil (any flavor you prefer)
1 eggplant, cubed
1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 Tbsp. capers
½ c. Castelvetrano olives, sliced
1-2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. Teaoli Balsamic Vinegar (Dark Chocolate, Espresso, Neapolitan Herb, Sicilian Lemon, Tangerine, or Traditional)
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
Zest from 1 lemon
½ c. sugar
1 can diced tomatoes
Sliced baguette, to serve
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Add olive oil to a saute pan over medium heat until it's deep enough to form an uninterrupted pool across the entire surface. Once oil starts to shimmer, add eggplant cubes. Cook while stirring until eggplant starts to brown. Remove from pan and reserve.
2. In the same pan, add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Stir to combine. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften, then add capers, olives, garlic, and season.
3. Add red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar; stir to combine. Add lemon zest and tomato paste, then stir to combine again.
4. Sprinkle sugar over the top and add canned tomatoes. Return eggplant to the pan, stir everything together, and simmer over medium-low heat until thick and slightly reduced.
5. Serve warm or cold with sliced baguette.
Recipe adapted from Tastemade.
- Olive Oils
- Gift Sets
- Specialty Items